The Elders Place At The Table
The Elders Place At The Table
Healthy Nutritional Awareness
CERTAIN FOODS CAN BE PREPARED AS INGREDIENTS IN A VARIETY OF SOUPS AND TEAS TO STRENGTHEN THE IMMUNE SYSTEM:
Choose a variety of foods that contain vitamins and minerals and other essential nutrients that strengthens the immune system, reduces many food related illnesses, and supports one during rehabilitation and recovery of one's energy.
FOOD, HEALTH, AND DISEASE
Its are challenge these days to get seniors and youth to understand the connection between food, health, and disease. When "Introducing New Foods" Prepare foods that are delicious, nutritious, with Vitamins And Minerals, maybe even with a flavor that's a little familiar. Don't make any promises of how much they will like or not like the natural flavors that you use in the meal. Remaining optimistic and having a positive attitude may be the key to getting a loved one, "young or old" to change over to a healthier lifestyle. Remember, change may not happen over night. Don't get discouraged by having to take little steps towards reaching the health goals.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF FOODS THAT BUILDS STRENGTH & IMMUNITY:
- [_] Adzuki beans: Keeps brain healthy
- [_] Avocado: Helps to treat high blood pressure and control blood sugar levels
- [_] Bell peppers 9: Improves appetite
- [_] Broccoli: Antiaging, detoxifying properties
- [_] Chamomile 1: Relieves stress
- [_] Dill: Comforts
- [_] Echinacea tea: Flushes toxins out of the body. Enables one to release negativity, accept the flow of life, by raising the vibrational energy of one's self.
- [_] Ginger: Mental confusion
- [_] Garlic 139: improves diabetic management lowers cholesterol
- [_] Grapes 3,7: Unclogs arteries
- [_] Himalayan Pink Salt: Improves the absorption of nutrients
- [_] Lentil Beans/Small White Navy Beans 6: Increases wound healing, fills you up, making weight control easier. Lowers the risk of hemorrhoids and swollen anal tissues. makes stools softer. relieving constipation. Helps some people with prediabetes, diabetes or hypoglycemia
- [_] Mango: Cooling, clears heat from the body, quenches thirst
- [_] Watermelons 2,6: May help relieve mental depression, increases spinal fluid
- [_] Oregano 6: Security
- [_] Raspberry 6: Creates greater joy helping one to become more aware of the fun of life. Opens one up to all levels of knowledge
- [_] Rosemary 126: Relieves sadness, disappointments, depression
- [_] Sage 467: Strengthens
- [_] Strawberry 2: Tranquilizing
- [_] Thyme 4: Strengthens after illness
- [_] Tomato 9: Detoxes the body, helps prevent premature aging
- [_] Turmeric: helps to control blood LDL (bad cholesterol, removes harmful free oxygen radicals. eases depression, mood swings, cramping, bloating, excessive bleeding
FOOD & SUPPORT OF HEALTHY CIRCULATION:
- [_] Beets 3: Purifies, aids liver, avoid if highblood pressure
- [_] Black Mustard Seed 9: Colds, arthritis, depression
- [_] Ginger 3: Cleanses colon, destroys parasites, gout H.bloodpressure, arthritis
- [_] Horseradish Wasabi: Inhibits bacterial infection, increases perspiration, relieves muscus, stimulates digestion
- [_] Peppermint 1,3: Helps disperse viruses or bacteria
- [_] Spearmint Leaf 4: Increases memory, releases stress, emotional blockages
- [_] Skullcap 4: Tranquilizing, relaxes nervous tension, insomnia, hysteria strengthening, www.theeldersplaceatthetable.com/photo3_11.html
Grandmother would always pick something from the earth in our little modest garden nothing fancy, just a corner by the side of the house or sidewalk. Her favorites were the herbs in the mint family. She simmered the herbs, then she gave to us usually in the form of a tea or a salve. The books that I had accumulated over the years became my reference material, each with such a wealth of information. Some of them even had preparations very similar to what I remembered my grandmother doing in the kitchen with her ingredients. I'd often buy the ingredients then follow the information and instructions that I received from the books before my children became ill, so that I would be familiar with their properties. Some of the herbs were good for the bath water, not just to take internally. My children seemed to love their herbal baths.
At this time in my life, in my 60's years is such a blessing for my style of teaching. I'm at the age where I can remember what it was like before all of the artificial flavors and hormonal additives were ingredients in everyday foods. And being raised in Berkeley, (Bay Area) CA, it means that I am also a "drug wars experimental years" survivor, an observer of the "natural back to nature" movements. Along with that era was the questioning of those in authority as an act of "Self-Determination" and exercising one's rights when it came to lifestyle, birthing babies, and living in peace with the world community. So asking about the side effects of drugs, vaccinations, and chemicals in foods comes so natural for me.
Grandmother Lena Mae, passed on her cooking skills to her 4 daughters who are known to be great cooks in our family. Up until about 5 years ago my mother and aunts would cook up large quantities of gourmet food to entertain large gatherings of friends.
In 1981 I was 26 years old, after reading "How To Eat To Live" Books One and Two, it gave me the information I needed to confidently make a swtch in my food choices for protein and a healthy lifestyle. I became the only vegetarian in my family. My mother respectfully prepared vegetarian options for me and my children. My family would still tease me though, because growing up I didn't like vegetables and eating my salad was an unpleasantry. The books I began reading shared information about the dangers of processed foods, the health risks associated with certain types of food, and the doctors lack of knowledge regarding food as medicine.
A LIFESTYLE BASED ON THE CONVIENENCES
Today's generation has to relearn the healthier ways of shopping, storing, preparation and eating. This commercial age that began in the 60's and intensified in the 80's has advertised convienence at the expense of health. The result of which has given rise to the doctor's visits and a need for medications. For many of us it is due to introducing poor quality food, non-food substances, artificial chemicals, and age inducing hormones that do not benefit our health. We are being destroyed. What we put in our mouths deteriorates our bodily functions.
AREA OF CLASS EDUCATIONAL INSTRUCTION
- [_] 1. Learning How To Use Fooducate For Healthier Choices
- [_] 2. Herbal Seasonings & Flavors
- [_] 3. Emotions, Organs, And Discomfort
- [_] 4. Food For Thought: Managing Emotions
- [_] 5. Identifying Areas That May Cause Stress
- [_] 6. Addressing Imbalances For Health & Wellness
- [_] 7. Vitamins & Minerals
- [_] 8. Self Development Calendar For Success
- [_] 9. Soups, Salads, & Smoothies: White Bean Soup
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: CONSULTATIONS, WORKSHOPS & CLASSEES
FOODUCATE PRODUCTS & CATEGORIES:
Explanation, Nutrition, Ingredients
- [_] Fruits
- [_] Vegetables
- [_] Breads & Carbs
- [_] Breakfast
- [_] Dairy & Eggs
- [_] Meat & Fish
- [_] Other Proteins
- [_] Condiments & More
- [_] Dips, Spreads & Jams
- [_] Prepared Foods & Soups
- [_] Fast Food Restaurant Chains (by ABC)
- [_] Salty Snacks
- [_] Sweet Snacks
- [_] Beverages
- [_] Cooking & Baking
- [_] Baby Food
Always check with your health care provider. This information is designed for educational purposes only, for self study and self-development. Always check with your Health Care Provider, or Health Specialist before using any foods, herbs, or essential oils, to confirm that it is not contraindicated for your personal care or use. Everyone has to take responsibility for your own health and your food sensitivities which may trigger allergic reactions.
REMEMBERING ROSEMARY, OREGANO, AND DILL
Natural Aromatherapy: The smells are aromatic and healing mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically
WE JUST DON'T GIVE BIRTH AND KNOW HOW TO BE MOTHERS. WE NEED GUIDANCE
These are women from my nutrition class that I teach at the Senior Center in Atlanta. One of the important topics we covered was the absence of the wisdom of the elders in teaching our new moms how to be mothers in taking care of and feeding their children.
ORANGE LENTIL SOUP WITH CORIANDER, DILL, FENNEL
SOUPS: HOW TO EAT TO LIVE
The elderly have forgotten how to make big pots of soup. The youth are not familiar with soup as a main meal. There are opportunities to work at elderly centers to remind them how back in the day, thats all we had, and we were healthier. There was less:
- cancers, etc.
With diabetes increasing in children, our young and old can benefit from learning "How To Eat To Live" the vegetarian way of eating nutritious foods. It's economical for families and for those with limited incomes and resources.
CLOSING THE GAP
ENGAGING IN A READING & COLORING ACTIVITY:
LEARNING ABOUT HEALTHY NUTRITIONAL AWARENESS
SMALL WHITE MILD NAVY BEAN SOUP RECIPE INGREDIENTS
By L'dia Men-Na'a
Ginger Health Benefits:
- [_] May reduce muscle pain soreness
- [_] Treats many forms of nausea
- [_] Helps fight flu and common cold
- [_] Anti-Inflammatory: Helps with osteoarthritis
- [_] May lower blood sugars
- [_] Improves heart disease
- [_] May lower cholesterol levels
- [_] May improve brain function protects against Alzheimers
AVOCADO & SEED NORI ROLLS
Where I see that we make most of our mistakes in getting on the health path is in these areas:
- Giving up meat and dairy without having knowledge of the need to alternate with healthier choices of nutritional needs for Calcium, Protein, or Iron.
- Not cooking. Eating out becomes expensive. Learning how to follow a recipe and prepare your own meals, raw or cooked is essential to success.
- Lacking variety and creativity
THE CHALLENGES ARE REAL FOOD FOR THOUGHT: VITAMINS, MINERALS, AND VIBRATIONAL BALANCE
- Build your meals around a protein rich plant based soup.
- Include colors and textures in your meals to go with your soup.
- Try different beverages in the form of teas, smoothies, and juices.
- Make sure you are not stressing about food or becoming vitamin and mineral deficient.
LEARNING FROM EACH OTHER: The Elders And Our Youth
STIR-FRY BROCCOLI IN TOMATO, GINGER, & GARLIC GRAVY
MAKE SOUPS THE CENTER FEATURE OF THE MEAL
and served with fruits, vegetables, and grains. There are plenty that are rich in Protein.
CLOSE THE GAP: LINK TO VIDEO PRESENTATION
Of L'dia Men-Na'a
CLOSING THE GAP PART 1 FOOD FOR THOUGHT: HEALTHY NUTRITIONAL AWARENESS Speaking To Our Senior Citizens Topics:
- High Blood Pressure & Foods,
- Plant-Based Protein foods
- "Marking" The Baby
- Our grandchildren's behavior based on life in the womb
- We Need Our Elders To Be Guides: Future wisdom greets wisdom past
SPICY SMOKEY SMALL WHITE NAVY BEAN SOUP INGREDIENTS
By L'dia Men-Na'a
Stirring it up, vegetables and herbs
white beans, sage, tomatoes, garlic, yellow bellpepper
[_] Kidney Stones:
Eating too much kale may put one more at risk for developing kidney stones. A way to avoid kidney stones is by alternating the greens with: bok choy, spinach, and arugula. Kidney stones are more a concern for those with a family history.
Slowing down, usually causes fatigue, hair loss, & weight gain. Eating cooked kale rather than raw is recommended by Dr. Oz. The Dark Side Of Kale if one is prone to suffer from this.
[_] BloodThinner Medication Warning
Eating too much kale could cause an interference with blood thinners or antibiotics. Vitamin K in kale is a blood clotter, this could cause those medications to be less effective. Alternate kale with other greens that are lower in Vitamin K such as:
- romaine lettuce,
- green beans,
Kale & The Carmichael's Show
This episode: "Kaletastrophe" Season 1 Episode 3 made a humorus yet very serious point about the father, Joe, having a minor heart complication after trying kale. Jerrod encourages his parents to lead healthier lifestyles, but his efforts backfire and cause a family debate about health, aging, death, and the future of the family.
RAW KALE AND NORI: A SEA VEGETABLE If choosing raw kale wraps use with nori, a sea veggie rich in Iodine. Dr Oz said that the best solution to protect your Thyroid is to make sure Kale is cooked. It only needs to be done for a couple minutes to reduce the amount of Goitrin present in the vegetable, which is what can interfere with the Thyroid.
Another option, if you prefer eating raw Kale, is to combine it with Seaweed, which is high in Iodine, which can balance the effects of Kale on the Thyroid.